SAMHSA has developed a Drug-Free Workplace Kit (www.workplace.samhsa.gov), suitable for all sizes of workplaces. The free kit provides employers with practical evidence-based information, resources, and tools for producing and maintaining drug-free workplace policies and programs.
“Almost 75 percent of current illicit drug users and 79 percent of heavy drinkers aged 18 or older are employed,” said SAMHSA Administrator Terry L. Cline, Ph.D. “We want to help employers understand there are some very simple steps they can take to prevent these problems and assist employees in need of help. This kit is good for their businesses and good for the health and safety of their employees.”
The kit has nine major sections that include:
- Components of a Drug-Free Workplace
- How to Assess Your Organization’s Needs
- How to Develop a Drug-Free Workplace Policy
- Educating Your Employees
- Training Your Supervisors
- Creating an Employee Assistance Program
- Drug Testing in the Workplace
- Workplace Substance Abuse Prevention Resources and References
- An Implementation Guide
For more information about drug testing, visit our website.