Last year, the Office of Management and Budget approved a revised Federal Drug Testing Custody and Control Form (CCF) and authorized the continued use of the 2018 version of the CCF, or ‘old’ form until August 30, 2021.
DOT-regulated employers and their service agents (collectors, laboratories, Medical Review Officers) may not use the old version of the CCF for U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)-mandated drug test collections after August 30, 2021.
Federal CCF expiration checklist:
- Discard old forms and begin using the new Federal CCF.
- If you need to order new Federal CCFs, contact us at 1.800.877.7484.
- If an ‘old’ form is used, you must complete a Memorandum for Record (MFR)
- Download our MFR collector’s certification statement.
- Go paperless and switch to electronic Custody and Control Forms (eCCF). As an eCCF-approved laboratory, Quest Diagnostics uses the most current CCF.
If, as a collector, laboratory, MRO, employer, or other person implementing these drug testing regulations, you become aware of the use of a non-Federal form or an expired Federal form, you must provide a signed statement (i.e., a memorandum for the record). It must state that the incorrect form contains all the information needed for a valid DOT drug test, and that the incorrect form was used inadvertently or as the only means of conducting a test, in circumstances beyond your control. The statement must also list the steps you have taken to prevent future use of non-Federal forms or expired Federal forms for DOT tests.
For this flaw to be corrected, the testing of the specimen must have occurred at an HHS-certified laboratory where it was tested consistent with the requirements of 49 CFR Part 40. You must supply this information on the same business day on which you are notified of the problem, transmitting it by fax or courier.
If the correction does not take place, the test must be canceled.
This regulatory requirement can be found at https://www.transportation.gov/odapc/part40/40-205.
This was first published on August 10, 2021, by the DOT called “The Revised Federal Drug Testing Custody and Control Form must be used beginning August 30th, 2021.” Read the full reminder from DOT and other frequently asked questions.
We encourage you to switch to eCCF today for both Federal and non-federal testing. As an eCCF-approved laboratory, Quest Diagnostics uses the most current form.
Implementing eCCF for Federal and non-Federal drug testing is easy to implement and has some clear benefits:
- Fewer data-entry and legibility issues
- Reduced collection site flaws
- Faster drug test collections
- Streamlined delivery of eCCF copies to employers and Medical Review Officers
- Accurate eCCF data replaces outdated account and MRO demographics
- Less paperwork to manage
- Improved overall efficiency
Have more questions about using eCCF? Take a look at our comprehensive list of resources available to help you go green and avoid the hassles related to expired forms.
Read our FAQs about regulated drug testing.